Monday, July 11, 2005

Relative

A couple of weeks ago, when I was coming back from Detroit almost arriving to Chihuahua, as I was looking through the airplane window, I started to think about the relativity of things.

From up there at more than 3,000 meters from the ground, everything down below seems so lonely, specially as we entered the desertic lands of Chihuahua with its endless ridge chains. If I was an alien comming from outer space, I might think that I'd hardly find intelligent life in a place like this.

When one is on the ground, things are a lot different. Everything seems to be too far away to go walking: parents home, shopping center, school, you name it. But from above those distances are nothing.

We are huge compared with a small bacteria but microscopic compared with the size of the planet. This made me remember the beggining of a poem from Arturo Limon (a writer from Chihuahua) on his book "Y sin embargo se mueve..."

"Soy un hombre, pequeña y grande criatura del Universo.
Tan simple, que mi masa no impacta al volúmen del cosmos,
pero tan grande que la concepción del mismo cabe dentro de mi... "

How deep that little fragment is.
And now, Do you understand what I meant at the begging with the term "relativity of things"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home